17 Ways to Make Income Online When You’re 17
If you’re 17 and looking for ways to make some online income, you’re in the right place.
This entire guide is dedicated to showing you 17 ways to make money online when you’re 17 – including cryptocurrency, website creation and of course, using artificial intelligence.
Whether you’re looking for some extra pocket money or to start your own business, I’m here to help.
Table of Contents
Ways to Make Passive Income When You’re 17
Freelancing is great for 17-year-olds! You can make extra money in various fields, like web design, writing, graphic design and more.
You’re in control of your own future when you freelance. You can set your own rates and work hours.
Let’s explore the advantages of freelancing and the best ways to get started:
Identify what services you can offer
When starting as a freelancer, it’s essential to know what services you offer. This could be writing, graphics, video editing, web programming, etc. Research to price your services fairly by checking what others get paid.
For passive income at 17, affiliate marketing is a good option. Get a commission when visitors click and purchase the recommended product or service.
Using Fiverr or Upwork needs no investment, just create a profile and pitch proposals. Bid on client tasks or projects that fit their criteria.
Job boards advertise tasks for your age group. Look for freelance opportunities in your field from reputable companies.
Lastly, tell people close to you about the freelance work you’re doing. It could help form income streams when beginning as a freelancer.
Create a portfolio of your work
Creating a portfolio of your work is crucial, especially when you’re just starting out freelancing at 17.
Showing potential clients why they should hire you for your services has long-term benefits. It can help individuals know more about you and the type of work that interests you.
It can also give you a chance to broaden your skill set and show off successes or feats through case studies and past projects.
To make a portfolio, add documents, webpages, social media accounts, and printed versions. You could even give a presentation on why you’re great at what you do.
When clients check out your portfolio, they need to see results of what you achieved. Screenshots and visuals can give them a better idea.
Sign up for freelance websites
Signing up for freelance websites is a fab way to make passive income if you’re a teen! Upwork, Fiverr, Freelancer and Guru are some great websites that host exclusively online or remote jobs. Perfect for teens wanting to make money from home, without any in-person interactions.
Creating a profile is key. Include your education and work history, if you have any. Also list the skills you possess. Employers will easily be able to find someone with the required skills to complete the job fast and effectively.
Showcase your work – samples of past jobs you have done – so employers can have confidence in you.
Once ready, you can create proposals for specific job postings. Show them your qualifications, experiences and the estimated time frame for the job.
Graphic design, web development and content writing are areas you could look into.
Selling Items Online
Selling items online is an amazing way to create passive income, especially for 17-year-olds.
Platforms such as eBay, Etsy, and Depop make it simple to set up a store and start selling items with little effort.
Here are seven ways a 17-year-old can make passive income by selling items online:
- Sell vintage items.
- Sell handmade items.
- Sell digital products.
- Sell printables.
- Sell used items.
- Sell services.
- Sell crafts.
Research what items are in demand
Gaining passive income through online selling requires knowing which products are in demand. Keep up with trends by reading magazines, surfing the web, or watching TV. Websites exist to show the latest products and trends, so you can stay informed.
Research current products and anticipate future ones. This will help you make wise decisions about products to buy and resell.
Source items to sell
17-year-olds can make passive income by selling items online. This includes thrift store sales, vintage pieces, and marketplaces.
One warning – this method might require a small up-front investment or fees.
To make it pay off, do your research, be competitive in pricing, and use creative marketing strategies.
Popular sellers on eBay or Etsy include used clothes & accessories, designer brands, and collectibles. Take professional photos and provide detailed descriptions to increase appeal. Explain why customers should purchase your products.
This will boost sales and attract repeat customers – building brand loyalty.
Set up an online store
Setting up an online store is a great way for 17 year olds to make passive income. Items you can sell include clothing, books, artwork, cell phone cases, and jewelry. You can use your own stuff from the closet or basement. Options like Etsy and eBay are popular and easy to set up.
You’ll need photos for advertising and knowledge of running a website and registering your business. Plus, you’ll need to know shipping regulations. Pricing is essential to make money. Consider discounts or coupons to draw customers and compete with other sellers.
Investing is a fab way to begin earning passive income at 17. Making smart and strategic investments won’t only help you make more money, but also increase your wealth in the long run.
There are many different options and strategies for investing your money.
Let’s look into the possibilities that could work for you!
Open a custodial account
Open a custodial account – it’s a great way for 17-year-olds to get started investing and making passive income. This type of account is held in the name of a minor, but managed by an adult, like a parent or guardian.
Minors can legally trade stocks and manage their own investments. They can use the earnings for things like college or retirement. There are tax advantages too – the minor gets to pay their own taxes.
Custodial accounts offer lots of benefits to young investors. They have control over their money, and guidance from an adult who knows about investments. P
arents and minors should plan how best to manage the funds. Set goals, and plan how to achieve them. Invest in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, REITs, ETFs – and make passive income.
Research stocks and ETFs
At 17, researching stocks and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) is a great way to earn passive income. Look for companies that offer long-term growth, as well as ones with dividends. This way, you can get regular payments.
When researching, check the return on investments, financial statements and stock/ETF performance over time. Think about the company’s future and how new industry changes, laws or competition could affect them.
Do your own research with reliable sources. Don’t just rely on other investors or brokers who may get more money for recommending certain investments.
Also, diversification is key. This means spreading your money over many different types of investments. It helps lower risk and gives more varied returns.
Start investing in mutual funds
Mutual funds are a great way for new investors to start building their portfolios and make passive income. They are professionally managed investments that pool money from many different people to buy stocks, bonds, and other securities.
The value of each fund changes with how the investments perform.
Before investing in mutual funds, it’s essential to understand how they work. Buy shares of one or more funds directly or through an expert. Open-end mutual funds trade at net asset value (NAV), while closed-end ones trade on the stock exchange.
Invest in cryptocurrency
Cryptocurrency is becoming an increasingly popular asset class and has the potential to generate hugely outsized returns.
The key to making money with cryptocurrency is to dollar cost average into it. This means that you’ll make smaller investments over time, which reduces your risk of losing money.
Additionally, there are many different types of cryptocurrencies to invest in, so you can diversify your portfolio and spread out your risk.
While investing in cryptocurrency does carry some risk, it is an interesting and potentially profitable way for 17 year olds to make passive income.
Renting Out Your Space
At age 17, renting out your space can be a great way to get passive income. You can do this through sites such as Airbnb or VRBO.
Here, you can advertise your space to rent out short-term or long-term. It’s a great way to get extra money.
All you need is a nice space to list! Let us take a closer look at how this passive income opportunity works.
Research what types of space you can rent out
Be aware of the potential rental spaces you can make money from before you commit. Age can be a factor in terms of the kinds of rental venues available, so don’t be discouraged. There are resources to help navigate rental regulations based on age. Consider these seven options:
- Parking Spaces: Through online marketplaces like SpotHero, you can rent out your parking space. Double check local laws first, though!
- Spare Rooms: If you have an extra room, list it on AirBNB or VRBO. Make sure you know the occupancy taxes and have proper insurance if you have multiple guests.
- Home Storage: If you have extra closets, attics, or basements, rent them out as self-storage. Security measures like locks and cameras are important.
- Clothes Closets: You can rent items from your wardrobe through services like ThreadUp or Tradesy. They take care of the payments, you just need to store and ship safely.
- Glassware/Crockery: Don’t buy glassware – let people rent it from you. This could be for parties, weddings, or dinners.
- Private Tutoring: Use platforms like TutorMe to tutor students online. Payments are settled within the platform.
- Garage Sale Businesses/Equipment Hire: Create a blueprint for local individuals to list what they have available. This is for small businesses needing specific equipment.
List your space on rental websites
Are you a 17-year-old who wants to make some passive income but doesn’t have a job? Renting out extra space in your house is the perfect way! List it on websites like Airbnb, VRBO and HomeAway. Take amazing photos and write creative descriptions to market yourself.
Safety comes first when it comes to renting out. Carefully vet renters and consider renter’s insurance.
Be aware of local laws and regulations for short-term rentals. Also, decide what amenities and services you want to provide before confirming a booking. Make sure you communicate all this to potential renters!
Advertise your space
Are you 17? You can make passive income by advertising your space as a rental. In Toronto, the daily rate for a one-bedroom property is $120 CAD. If renting out isn’t for you, use what you have to help others.
Put up street signs or advertise online. You can use apps like Gowalla or RentersMall to find potential tenants. Show off your decoration and design skills by renting out rooms at discounted prices. Cleanliness is important for repeat customers.
Before advertising, research local laws about renting residential buildings – to protect yourself from legal issues.
Dropshipping can be a great way to make passive income when you’re 17!
It’s a business model where the seller doesn’t keep any inventory. Instead, the supplier ships products directly to customers. This is great for young people who don’t have much time for a fulltime job.
Let’s take a look at how you can get started with dropshipping.
Research what products to sell
Before you start your business or website, research what kinds of products you wish to sell. You are 17, so you will likely target people your age. Look at their spending habits and what they like. Check out trending products and items not seen before.
Learn about the competition – what similar products they offer and their prices. Use that data to ensure your prices stay competitive.
Set up a dropshipping store
Dropshipping is a great way to make passive income as a 17-year-old. You partner with a wholesaler who ships orders to your customers and processes payments. All you need is a computer, internet and knowledge of dropshipping.
- No start-up capital or inventory costs are needed.
- Create an online store and choose products from related suppliers that interest you. Then add them to your store and list them for sale.
- If a customer orders one of your items, place the order with the supplier. They’ll handle all shipping details. This leaves you more time for marketing your products online. Try social media or email campaigns to drive more traffic and sales.
- By partnering with different suppliers, you can offer multiple product choices at competitive prices.
With effort, dropshipping can be a rewarding business opportunity for 17-year-olds!
Market your store
Time to promote your website! Get customers from many sources, like word-of-mouth, SEO, social media, email marketing, and paid advertising.
- Social Media: Reach potential customers with Facebook Ads and Instagram Ads. Leverage user data to show ads to the right people.
- SEO: Improve search engine rankings when people search for related services or products. Increase visibility of your store.
- Email Marketing: Gather emails from prospective buyers on eCommerce platforms or surveys. Send them personal emails with discounts. Help expand loyalty for a personal brand.
Affiliate marketing is simple for 17 year olds to make passive income. You just promote products and services online to earn commission from each sale. Starting can be intimidating, as there are various facets of affiliate marketing. Knowing the basics will help you get going. Let’s get into examining the aspects of affiliate marketing!
- The basics of affiliate marketing.
- The various facets of affiliate marketing.
- How to get started with affiliate marketing.
Research what products to promote
Researching the right product to promote as an affiliate is essential for many marketers. Before joining an affiliate network and promoting, it’s important to know what you’re getting into.
- Find out which products or services are in high demand.
- Look for companies that offer these.
- Knowing your target audience helps you determine which product or service will bring them the most value.
- Compare vendors’ terms of service, commissions, and customer support before signing up.
- Evaluate their advertising capabilities.
- Explore different kinds of media outlets like blogs, social networks, and other online marketing techniques.
- Look into SEO methods, so people can find info about your product easily.
- Sign up for email newsletters from respected companies in your niche. This will give you valuable feedback about industry trends.
- Get ahead of the curve with successful campaigns!
Sign up for affiliate networks
Signing up to an affiliate network is a great way for young people to make passive income. When you join, you are agreeing to sell products or services for a business partner. You earn commission on any sales—without doing much work!
Here are a few popular ones:
- Commission Junction: Connects you to big marketers like Amazon and Staples. If someone buys something through your link, you get commission.
- Rakuten Marketing: One of the biggest online marketing companies, partners with retailers such as Walmart and Apple. You get a percentage of the sale if someone clicks through and orders from your website or social media account.
- ShareASale: Gives you access to over 3,500 merchants. No upfront costs, so it’s easy to start selling and earning commissions through your referral link right away!
Promote products on your website
At 17, one of the best ways to make passive income is by promoting products on your website. You can use retailers’ affiliate programs and earn commissions when people buy something through your links or banners. These programs provide tracking codes, banners and discounts for affiliates.
To be successful in affiliate marketing, you must create content that attracts visitors. This could be product reviews, tutorials or blog posts that promote specific products in a subtle way. You can start making money when someone buys something you’ve recommended.
Success with affiliate marketing doesn’t happen overnight. But with hard work and dedication, you’ll start seeing rewards soon.
Also, use email campaigns or pay-per-click to increase traffic to your site.
Create an App
For making an app, the initial step is to do a lot of research. Think of the type of app you want to make and find similar apps already present. Successful apps can show you the right way.
Look at everything, from user-friendly design to attractive graphics, and easily navigable settings to in-app purchases. Also, look into the market related to your idea and potential rivals. This can help you to earn a passive income.
If you have less knowledge about design or coding, either educate yourself or get help from others. Investing time in research at the start can make your app successful in the future.
Develop the app
Developing an app can be a great way to make passive income when you’re 17 and able to work for yourself. Software development is becoming more accessible and affordable. With technical know-how, you can create an app! Here are some steps:
- Identify a need or problem: Think of an app people might find useful and how it could bring in passive income. Consider needs related to demographics or habits in your area.
- Plan the application: Have a plan for the features and capabilities before beginning development. Avoid building something too complicated or it could lead to delays and wasted time.
- Choose a platform: Determine which platform – iOS or Android – works best for your target users. Develop on one platform first before moving on to the other.
- Decide if you need help: Consider hiring professionals who can bring your idea from start to finish correctly. Don’t use offshore resources that may not use industry standards.
- Gather necessary tools: Get software tools like prototyping programs, wireframe generators, code compilers, debugging solutions, testing environments, analytics programs, and payment processors. Look for free versions that don’t require payment.
- Create build/commit architecture: Use configuration controlled techniques like Git or Subversion to track changes. Automated test suite blocks are important. Review any guidance documents and rulebooks.
Publish the app on app stores
To monetize an app, you can publish it on an app store. Google Play Store, Apple App Store, and Amazon App Store are some examples.
For this, you need to create an account on the respective stores. Provide details such as your name, address, age (if you are a teenager) and other info. Submit the app for review. This process may take 3-4 days. It can sometimes take longer (like in the case of Uncover).
Once approved, it will be listed in the store and accessible to users. You can make money by incorporating ads or selling in-app purchases.
If done properly, this can be a great way to make money passively when you’re 17 years old.
How To Make Money Online With AI
Frequently Asked Questions
Ways to make passive income when you’re 17 include investing in cryptocurrency; creating a YouTube channel; selling digital products; using AI; creating an app; and affiliate marketing.
Yes, it is possible to make money passively when you’re 17. You can do so by creating a YouTube channel; selling digital products; through websites; renting out property; creating an app; and affiliate marketing.
When you’re 17, it’s the best time to start investing. You can make investments in stocks, mutual funds, and cryptocurrency. It’s important to do your research and consider the risks before investing.